Car Interior Disinfecting and Cleaning Tips for Coronavirus
With the recent news of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) spreading across the world, it’s more important than ever to make sure you stay disease-free. You won’t want to forget about your car if your daily routine involves driving around in a vehicle. Here’s how you can disinfect and clean the inside of your car for COVID-19.
[ CDC Best Practices for Cleaning and Disinfecting ]
- Take Out Any Items Inside Your Vehicle – When was the last time you cleaned out your vehicle? Throw out any unwanted items like old receipts and napkins. Remove any items to wish to keep aside. Basically, your car should be empty.
- Vacuum the Floor and Seats – It’s much easier to disinfect if you can remove as much dirt and grime as possible beforehand.
- Shampoo and Disinfect – Once your vehicle is all cleared out, it’s time to start the deep cleaning. We recommend shampooing the seats and carpets as some soap and water can kill those nasty germs. Use shampoo products designed for cars and don’t soak as mold can form if the seats or carpet gets too wet. With leather seats, use a high-quality leather conditioner. For hard surfaces like the dashboard and steering wheel, wipe down with a disinfecting wipe.
- Clean your Vents – We recommend having your mechanic take care of this one. The vents are difficult to clean on your own as you likely won’t be able to reach all the way inside. This leaves some bacteria behind and can travel into your cabin through the circulation system.
- Disinfect All Hard Surfaces – You touch a lot of different things when you drive. This includes your mirrors, car keys, key fob, gear shift, steering wheel, door handles, infotainment display, and the center console controls. Use disinfecting wipes or soap and water to clean these components. Also, check out the list of disinfectants the EPA recommends by clicking the link below.
[ EPA Approved List of Disinfectants to Use for Coronavirus ]
We hope you stay safe during this sensitive time. Interested in a car but don’t want to go out to shop? Explore our used vehicle inventory right on our website. We are always available online to help you shop for a car while at home.