How to Reduce the Amount of Money You Spend
While it seems easy, saving money can be a challenge for some. Whether you want to save up for your next vacation or build your savings account, there are many ways to reduce the amount of money you spend. Here are a few easy tips on how you can save money every month.
[ READ MORE: How Your Payment History Will Affect Your Credit Score ]
Top 10 Ways to Save Money
- Use your income for essentials rather than wants. After your essentials are covered, determine how much money you have left over and do not exceed that amount.
- Pay yourself and set a savings goal. This can be as small as putting $20 into your savings account every paycheck.
- Put some of your excess “fun money” into an emergency fund or into retirement savings.
- Pay off your credit card in full every month. This avoids unnecessary interest placed on your account.
- If you do have debt, whether it be from credit card or loans, put some extra money towards paying off these debts, going from smallest to largest.
- Avoid eating out – cooking at home and bringing your lunch to work is much cheaper!
- Buy food that you know you will eat within a certain time period. This will help you avoid throwing out spoiled food items later.
- Find ways to save energy. This includes turning off the lights when you’re not in the room and opening windows on a cool day rather than running your AC.
- Save money on your water bills by taking shorter showers and not letting your water run while brushing your teeth.
- Cancel subscriptions you don’t regularly use, such as Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Spotify, and gym memberships.
Of course, there are many more ways you can save money every month. Try making small, more affordable lifestyle changes and your wallet will thank you later!